Every year, the world uses 35 billion barrels of oil. this large-scale dependence on fossil fuels pollutes the earth by producing harmful emissions. as a result, non-renewable resources, such as oil will not last forever. scientists estimate that we have consumed about 40% of the world’s oil. according to a recent estimate, if we continue to consume non-renewable resources at this rate we will run out of oil and gas in 50 years or so. and call in about a century.
On the other hand, we have abundant sun, water, and wind, that can be used to create renewable energy and these will never run out. so what is renewable energy? renewable energy is generated from sources that exist naturally and never run out.
- The most common source of renewable energy is solar energy. it uses the sun to produce energy solar panels absorb sunlight to generate electricity.
- Wind energy utilizes the motions of when to create electricity. similarly, hydropower uses moving water to generate power.
- Biomass refers to the use of waste materials of living organisms or the remains of non-living organisms to create energy.
- Tidal energy uses the rise and fall of tides to create electricity.
- Geothermal energy uses Earth’s internal heat to create energy.
Renewable energy is in greater demand because it is a clean source of energy. this means that it does not pollute or harm our planet or us. the use of renewable energy is on the rise, and this energy source could be the key to fighting climate change.
There are many advantages of using renewable energy. let’s take a closer look.
- Provide a positive impact on climate changes: because it does not create direct greenhouse gas emissions. the only emissions that renewable energy produces are indirect. this means that these gas emissions result from the manufacturing part or maintenance in power plants or factories. however, even these emissions are very little. emission is the production and discharge of something. especially gas or radiation. it is harmful to the environment.
- Can decrease pollution: therefore reducing risks to our health. wind, solar, and hydroelectric systems create no air pollution emissions. the emissions of geothermal and biomass energy systems are much lower than non-renewable energy sources.
- A reliable source of power: because renewable energy sources will never run out. renewable energy offers an environment-friendly alternative to greenhouse gas emissions and pollution caused by fossil fuels. as advances in technology make renewable energy more accessible affordable and efficient an end to climate change could be within our reach.
Let’s summarize what we have learned. the large-scale dependence on fossil fuels by human beings results in polluting the earth. renewable energy is generated from sources that exist naturally and never run out. renewable energy is in greater demand because it is a clean source of energy. renewable energy can decrease pollution and therefore reduce threats to our health.
You may also like to read: Popular Renewable Energy Sources: Pros and Cons